Leg day; most lifters either love it or hate it. However, the majority of us, no matter how we feel about grueling through rep after rep of squats until the need to find the nearest trash can for quick breakfast disposal, will do it anyway. One might say leg day is, "a necessary evil."
Even though your quads are hidden under your board shorts all summer, they remain a vital part of your beach physique. We've all seen the guys that look like they've trained arms for days on end, but haven't touched a squat rack since the last time it was confused with a curl station. Don't be that guy.
In case you missed it, we met up with Dred Bar in March for an epic shoulder workout. Our delts are still sore from it, but we decided to go back for a leg day we wouldn't soon forget. Dred's no-nonsense workout tactics may be just what you need to see some serious gains.
Dred doesn't take his training and diet lightly. He lives by the motto: "Don't talk, just prove!" When you approach any workout, ask yourself "am I ready to hustle?" After the last giant set of this workout, your legs may feel like Jello, and you'll have the option to bow out and guzzle your shake or dig deep and take on the Stairmaster. What will your decision be? Try this classic routine for your next leg workout and just take the elevator for the next few days.
Pre-Workout - Jack3d // Flavor recommendation: Dragonberry
Intra-Workout - ModernBCAA+ // Flavor recommendation: Mango Orange
Post-Workout - ModernPROTEIN // Flavor recommendation: Vanilla Ice Cream
Squats - 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps)
Super Set (Complete 1 set of A1, then 1 set of A2 in succession for 4 complete rounds.)
- A1) Leg Press - 4x8
- A2) Leg Curl - 4x12
Giant Set (Complete 1 set of B1, then 1 set of B2 in succession, and so on, for 3 complete rounds.)
- B1) Dumbbell Walking Lunge - 3x10 (per leg)
- B1) Leg Extensions (toes pointed out and lean back) - 3x12
- B3) Leg Extensions (toes pointed in and lean forward) - 3x12
StairMaster – 20 minutes
Instant Training Tips and Workout Notes:
1) For those who do not have access to a leg press, try the goblet squat with a 5-second descent. These are brutal but effective.
2) No Stairmaster, no problem! Take advantage of the warm weather with this mini-workout from Renegade Founder and Coach John Davies:
Complete 4 circuits in under 5 minutes each
- - Star Jumps x 10
- - Walking Lunges x 60 seconds
- - Russian Split Jumps x 5 each side
- - Straight Leg Heel Walks* x 60 seconds
- - Cossack Squats x 60 seconds
- - Walking Lunges to five-minute mark
*Contact only on heels. Raise lead foot above the knee of planted leg.
3) Perform the leg press in Superset #1 with your feet high on the platform with a slightly wider than shoulder width stance. This will more effectively engage your hamstrings.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of USPlabs or any employee thereof. Examples used within this article are only examples. USPlabs is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the authors of this article. Authors may have been remunerated by USPlabs.
The information provided in this article, as well as this web-site blog is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be interpreted as medical advice for any condition. Always consult a qualified medical professional before beginning any nutritional program or exercise program. By reading this disclaimer, you hereby agree and understand that the information provided in this column is not medical advice and relying upon it shall be done at your sole risk.