. We HATE the treadmill. If running in place isn't your idea of a workout either, check out Keianna Henry and Amanda Gable’s Top 10 Advanced Cardio Workouts!
10) Track Workout - A combination of short sprints (20-200 yards), bleachers, jumping jacks, and/or push up. These should be performed with minimal breaks but maximum intensity.
9) Plyometrics - Try using jump squats, box jumps, and plyo-pushups. Plyo's are also great in-between lifts to keep your heart rate up. Stay safe and jump high!
8) Stair / Hill Sprints - Find a steep hill or a set of crazy steps... Run up and down them for 20 minutes with minimal rest periods. Try timing yourself with a stop watch to stay consistent.
7) Step Aerobics - If you like music and are coordinated give this a try. Your glutes, quads and calves will be on fire and you'll be dripping sweat. Find a good instructor and a group time that works best for you, then give it your all! Clubbing for your health?
6) Group Weight Training – Get together with your friends and work up a sweat. 60 minutes of full body lifting, low weight with high reps. This can also work well at home with minimal equipment. Set up 4 stations with 4 people, then you can each hit it hard for 30 seconds before rotating to the next.
5) Plyo squats - Try variations of a plyometric squats. Here's a routine we like:
- Do as many plyo squats as you can until failure and then rest for 1 min and repeat, until you reach 100-200. This usually takes about 25-35 mins.
- This may seem like a lot of work but it's easier if you break them up in rounds of 25.
- Think --- 10 rounds of 10 plyo squats = 100 reps
4) Bodyweight High Intensity Interval Training (H.I.I.T.) - Melt away some extra insulation with this routine:
- Perform burpees into jump squats or plyo squats. Use same circuit as above.
3) Stair Master - To add a little tweak to the Stair Master, add in some plyo squats every 5 mins. BURN off some blubber with this circuit:
- Complete 5 minutes at a steady pace on the Stair Master. Hop off and do 50 plyo squats. That's one round. Repeat and add in tricep kickbacks for one minute for each leg. Repeat this every 5 minutes for desired time. Try this for 30 minutes total!
2) Tire Flips - These are great for your legs and glutes while also working your upper body. Super set these with burpees and push ups for an intense workout. Working more muscles and spreading the fatigue allows you to have shorter rest periods and will keep your heart rate up!
Try a few rounds of this:
- Flip tire from one end of the gym to another
- 20 burpees
- Push ups until failure.
- Rest 1-2 mins. REPEAT. For 30 mins total.
1) Mix weighted and non-weighted High Intensity Interval Training (H.I.I.T.)
A mix of weights and cardio will get you results faster. Try this workout with very little equipment.
- 20 jumping lunges with a barbell (We use 20 pounds)
- 20 jumping plyo squats
- High knees for 30 seconds
- Rest for 1 minute and repeat!
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website, as well as this web-site blog is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be interpreted as medical advice for any condition. Always consult a qualified medical professional before beginning any nutritional program or exercise program. By reading this disclaimer, you hereby agree and understand that the information provided in this column is not medical advice and relying upon it shall be done at your sole risk.